Sunday, October 25, 2009

Canceled

My busy weekend of double cross races came to a screeching halt on Friday afternoon as I took call, after call, after call, after call to discuss the potential cyclocross race cancellations. In the end it really is up to the land manager as you can't make them allow the race to go on and the race promoter has to negotiate that with the conditions in mind. I just offer advice as to what can be done to notify people, reschedule, etc. I know cross isn't supposed to be canceled for bad weather but we also don't want to loose venues. It is just bike racing after all.

Here's the thing though - I love to race cross and was looking forward to it. However, I suddenly felt like some magical extra weekend in the year had been created and I could do whatever I wanted. It was tinged with a little sadness as I know that I will have to miss at least one of the rescheduled races (November 15). Yet it was so relaxing to have an unexpected free weekend.

I did lots of little things many of which were boring such as laundry, cleaning and the usual home chores/errand running that had been put off forever. I also cooked including some yummy blueberry muffins which I look forward to enjoying this week.




I also got in a much needed visit to my mother at the nursing home. Cyclocross season has been hard as I haven't visited her as much and when I do visit it has been post-race for a quick dinner and then I'm off. She was, of course, excited to hear of the race cancellation but I did force her to look at photos of me racing the last few weeks. She refers to cyclocross as that sport where you jump over things. Now she knows it also involves running while carrying your bike. Hopefully she doesn't tell the nurses where I am on the weekends as they likely would consider any description pf cross as a sign of increased dementia. Perhaps I need to print out and post a photo in her room to show that is what I am actually doing.

This weekend I also carved our pumpkins. I kind of thought Halloween was going to come and go before I got that done. I also got in a nice 2 hour rollerski. It was nice except that I ripped a hole in the knee of my favorite Patagonia tights. I planted a pole between my skis on the very last little uphill. I know better than to wear my good tights and now I'm paying the price. I also did a painful 5k run on Sunday.

Dave, however, was off on his own adventures with his father. He was up north where it snowed.


And he had a very lovely time hanging out in the duck blind with his father and his father's friends.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Grant Coisman said...

Great blog! I felt kinda the same about the races being cancelled. And I ended up being super busy myself as well as visiting with some family as well. I like the bit on Dave it looks like he has a blast. Made me think of my brother who loves ducking. I look foward to the 2010 cross season. Grant C

11/02/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home