Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Halloween Cross

I didn't think I'd be racing Halloween Cross so I did a hard week of ski training leading up to it. Then the promoter told me that next year they would once again offer equal prize money for the women's categories. That was what I wanted so on Friday when I found out I put the race back on the schedule. I hastily threw together a costume (which was Ana Killingspree of the Reservoir Dolls roller derby team).



I have to say that having not ridden my bike for two weeks but having spent a lot of time rollerskiing and one night of running hills I knew that my usual last place finish would be assured. I had one good lap where I rode with the Cat 3 women in the race but my legs just never got in the game. However, every person counts in the women's field so I went, I paid my entry fee, I stood on the start line and I rode around in circles.

The funny part of the race is that I felt really pathetic for not bunnyhopping the coffin barrier. Last year I did (although it was just a 2x4 so it was mentally easier) but this year I opted to just pop my front wheel up on the coffin and riding over it that way. On the preride I was thinking that I should bunnyhop but I told myself to play it safe. My mind reminded me that I had only ridden my cross bike 4 times this year and that in 3 weeks I was flying to West Yellowstone to ski. This was no time to show off skills that might not be so sharp. This is funny because I felt really lame the whole race but I later found out that very few women were riding it all.



Here is a little video from the start of the Cat 1/2/3 Women's race. I like footage from early on as I have not yet started to totally suck.



This is also from Lap One at the coffin obstacle where you can see that I am lame and didn't bunnyhop but I also didn't get off the bike. Thanks to Steve and Heather for the videos!


1 Comments:

Blogger Red Bike said...

What a great race. Loving the costumes too!

11/04/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home