Friday, October 07, 2011

Cross Racing Begins

Race time is here. The USGP is over and now my season really begins. Luckily I pre-registered for Cross the Domes because I know myself. When it was time to get up on Saturday and get going all I wanted to do was sleep in, go out for brunch and just chill. However, the Team MadCross jerseys had arrived in the nick of time for the start of the WCA season and since I had the box I needed to go. Plus I'd already spent the money and I'm not one to let good registration fees go to waste.

Was I glad I went? Of course I was. The MWI guys are awesome and I knew they would again put on a great event. The course suited me and I loved it. It's my current fave course (after the USGP but I actually didn't ride that so I can't say for sure). The only problem is my complete lack of fitness which actually is behind even last year's horrible fitness. Oh well, I guess I'll be racing myself into shape again this year.

Race highlights are that my first lap went better than I expected and I was riding near my teammate Gail. That was fun. By the second lap I knew that was over and settled back behind her just far enough that I knew I wouldn't be able to catch her. I kept my eye on my usual nemesis, Heidi. We've been racing each other long enough to know each other's strengths and weaknesses. I excel on the more technical aspects but not on the pedaling. Heidi is good at the pedaling but psyches herself out on the technical parts (for no reason since she rides them just fine but don't tell her that as I need the advantage).

I have to say that cyclocross is one painful sport. If you haven't done any hard efforts in almost 2 months it will kick you in the butt. With 2 laps to go I was wondering if there was any chance the leader of the men's race might lap me a 2nd time. Unfortunately I could see where he was and knew it wasn't going to happen. On the last lap my legs were in some serious pain and I was so glad to be done.

It was super cool to be out sporting the new team kit though as I could easily spot my teammates and people were yelling "Go MadCross" which was cool.

Normally I'd post a photo now but I don't have one. All that blather about new team jerseys and now I have no photographic proof. Maybe this weekend I'll remember to have someone take a photo of my and the teammates instead of me just taking pics of everyone else.

Suffice it to say our new team kits are SWEET.

Oh yeah, and on Sunday I did a 2 hour over distance rollerski. It may be too late to be prepared for cross racing but there is still time to get ready for the Birkie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home