Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Gift Ideas for the Outdoorsy Gal

This year I've decided to buy holiday presents for a few random people. In recent years I've not been doing holiday gift giving but I've decided to dabble in it a little bit this year and see how it goes. With gift giving on my mind I thought I would share some ideas in case any of you have been struggling with what gifts to give for the outdoorsy gal.

Also, I'm going to mention lots of gifts that are available locally at either Catalyst (on Atwood Ave) or A Stone's Throw (on Monroe St) as I think shopping locally is important. If you don't live in Madison then you'll have to find your own local alternative.

For the cross country skiing gal:
1. For those only looking for small items to put in a "care package" or for a stocking stuffer I would suggest good wool socks. I really love Smartwool adrenaline socks for skiing or any of the other great Smartwools for everyday/work. Rumor is that A Stone's Throw will have a new shipment of Smartwool in late this week (and I'll be there looking for the perfect pair to give as a gift to one of my fave nordic skiers). And while you're at it why not throw in a couple of pair of toe warmers with those socks for those really frigid days when a diehard skier might still be headed out to the trails!
2. Lotion. Okay, this might not be exactly what people think of when they think of gifts for skiers but trust me if you are outside all the time your skin gets dry and you need to keep it moisturized. Or maybe some Dermatone for those really cold days when you want to ensure your fave skier doesn't get frostbite (I got a touch of frostbite 2 years ago and now my nose is very sensitive to cold temps so I use Dermatone a lot).
3. Okay, so maybe you have a slightly bigger budget and want to get something nicer. I would suggest a pair of really fun long underwear. No, don't get something boring, bland but functional. Get functional and fun instead! I'm going to recommend the Isis long underwear as I have the Peony Long Janes and I wear them constantly. Now I'm lusting after the Cable Tight. These are a great choice because they work great for skiing but can do double duty under a skirt with some boots for a fun and funky look off the trails.
4. Have even more cash to spend? Maybe a new ski top would be just the ticket. It's no secret that I love a bright colored top. It helps people find me when I'm separated from my ski group (aka I've been dropped). Lately I've bought a couple of pieces from Skirt Sports which I'm really liking and think the Tough Girl Top could be great for skiing with just an under-layer. Fashion and function and available locally at Catalyst.
5. And if price is no option then you should buy that special someone a CXC Master's membership and support them becoming a better skier while also supporting great nordic programming in our region. It's the gift that keeps on giving! Or if that's too much maybe just a subscription to CXC Academy. That could still help them ski a better Birkie by helping focus their training in the months to come!

Gift for the Cycling Gal
1. If you want to go small then cycling socks are the easy stocking stuffer. I'm partial to Sock Guys socks and don't think you can go wrong with their awesome pink flame socks.
2. Or maybe a great bike tshirt is the way to go . . . then check out the Harlot Wear hoodie which is also available locally at Catalyst. I have one of these tees and it's comfortable and brings a smile to the face every time you put it on.
3. Want to spend some money and get something special? Then check out Showers Pass Women's Portland Jacket. You can get one at Willy Bikes and is another item that combines function with fashion. A really great rain jacket can make biking around town so much more enjoyable.
4. How about a bike? That would make someone very, very happy. I bought myself an Independent Fabrication road bike for my birthday and I love, love, love it. Of course, that might also fall into the gift that is out of most people's budgets. Okay, how about something more reasonable. Maybe some cycling classes or coaches to help someone reach a goal they've set for 2011? Madison has a new place for training - Speed Cycling. I haven't checked it out yet as it just opened but Gordy sure has had success with all the athletes I know that he coaches.
5. And last but not least if the gal in question is or aspires to be a bike commuter then how about an appropriate bike accessory. Some of the best items I own are my Planet Bike fenders and lights. I have a great pair of pink fenders on the commuter bike and this time of year multiple front and rear lights. You should be able to buy these at any local bike shop. Or for the winter bike commuter get her a studded tire to make her winter time riding that much easier. I've been loving mine this week. If she's not quite the diehard commuter but still likes to ride around town then get her a basket for her commuter bike; a basket is such a great way to bring home leftovers from Pasquals or a bouquet from the farmer's market!

Generally cool gifts for the outdoorsy gal:
1. Okay, so I already mentioned Smartwool socks above so I've got to come up with something else. How about a cool necklace from Just the 2 Of Us design? Maybe one that says "Oh La La" or one that says "Snow". Available at A Stone's Throw.
2. I really couldn't do a whole blog post on holiday gifts without mentioning Horny Toad clothing. I've given and received tons of great items from Horny Toad over the years. This year I would say check out the Madeira Jacket or Vest. In stock now at A Stone's Throw. Or maybe you want something a little more technical. Then check out the Mountain Hardwear Butter Hoody available at Catalyst. Very soft, comfortable and yet a technical piece.
3. A nice bag is always a treat and doesn't require you to know what size someone wears. Catalyst is caring the Queen Bee bags. These bags are super unique and handmade. Definitely worth checking out.
4. My favorite gift is always a vacation. Why not plan a get away somewhere. Maybe a winter or summer stay at the Cable Nature Lodge complete with a nice dinner. That would work for skiing or biking as the lodge is close to the Rock Lake trails and the rest of the Birkie/CAMBA system. The sky is really the limit on this one so don't be afraid to think big - like mountain biking Wales, skiing Switzerland, hiking the Inca trail.
5. And back to reality . . . maybe you could just get a gift certificate to somewhere like Catalyst, A Stone's Throw or Willy Bikes. Perfect if you are worried about size, color, features, etc.

And those are my thoughts on fun gifts to give. Good luck holiday shoppers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home