Sunday, October 03, 2010

Back at it

Oops, forgot to blog about last weekend's Cross at the Domes so here's a double race report.

Cross the Domes
This was my first cyclocross race of the season. And it was exceptionally painful with a double sand pit and a wicked evil hill climb. I was last. Not a surprise really since I ride so little and when I do ride it isn't the kind of riding that prepares you to race. It's all fun though. I can't say that I really had a good part of the race as I was off the back immediately. It was good to get one in though in an attempt to race myself into some kind of shape.

Then this weekend's Pumpkin Cross . . .
Actually had a good start and wasn't in last place. That didn't last long as before I even got to the sand pit the 1st time I could tell I something was wrong. iI was slowly loosing air pressure in my rear tire. I got off for the sand pit and checked the pressure and it wasn't totally flat so I kept going. That didn't last long though as the air was slowly leaking out and making cornering at speed less than fun. I rode up the big climb the 2nd time and went straight to the car. I guess I can't complain as this is my first mechanical in all the years I've been racing and I've always raced clinchers. At first I was thinking I could have kept going and just babied it around all the corners but when I got home I checked it again and it was flat. Maybe I could have lasted but it wouldn't have been any fun. And I can't afford to ruin the wheel as I already need to buy a new mountain bike wheel and I've been putting that off.

Rollerskiing
And on Sundays I rollerski. I did a shorter over distance skate ski last Sunday. This Sunday I will likely do 30k since I only raced 2 laps so no excuses to cut it short. This weekend I'll classic just to mix it up and since I'm striding the Birkie again this year.

And in other things . . .
When I got home from Pumpkin Cross I got started on cooking up some goodness for tomorrow's USGP Volunteer Appreciation Party. Here's a recipe for one of the items I'm making:

Fall Wild Rice Salad

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup orange juice
1 Tbs orange zest
1 Tbs maple syrup
1/2 Tbs dijon mustard
21 oz wild rice
4 oz pine nuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced

Instructions:
Cook rice. Whisk together oil, orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup, and mustard in large bow. Add rice, pine nuts, cranberries, mint and green oninons, and toss to coat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home