Monday, October 31, 2011

Weekend Off

So what does a person do on a Fall weekend if they don’t race cyclocross. Probably nothing that sounds very exciting but still plenty to keep you busy. I love cyclocross but it makes me behind on everything else in life. If I race, update MadCross, buy groceries, cook something that will have leftovers for the next work week and do some laundry I usually don’t have the energy for too much else. With a big vacation looming I knew I needed to take some time off from racing and get some things done.

The weekend featured a few things – root vegetables, yard work, rollerskiing and a visit with my mom.


Saturday looked like some beautiful weather so I dedicated myself to getting a long over distance rollerski done since I’m headed to West Yellowstone in a couple of weeks. Last year I had done tons of rollerskiing in preparation for going to the big start of the nordic ski season whereas this year not so much. Saturday Dave headed out with me to support me in my first ski around the Capitol City loop (sans crashes as well!). I can’t believe that last year by this time I had probably done this loop almost ten times but this year it was my first really long ski. I am behind on fitness for everything it seems!



Next up was the joy of home ownership – yard work. Dave and I settled in for a marathon session which included cleaning leaves out of the gutters, cutting back our grape arbor, raking leaves, putting away the potted plants and trimming back the summer plants in my flower gardens. It always seems like it won’t take very long but in reality we probably did 3-4 hours of work and still have a little bit left (which it is unlikely we will ever do – until Spring). We did a better job than last year though so I feel good about that. Hopefully the home appraiser who will be coming soon (because we are re-financing) will be impressed by how well maintained our home is. Well, let’s be realistic, let’s just hope she doesn’t think our house doesn’t look like anyone takes time to maintain it. First impressions do matter. I bet you can’t wait to read my blog posts about home improvements. It’s been a few years since I blogged about that fascinating topic.

Sunday was all about visiting my Mom. except maybe towards the end of the visit when I told her that Dave and I were planning to go to West Yellowstone for 10 days. That was when the fun began. My mother greatly dislikes travel of any sort but especially travel in an airplane and travel to mountainous locations. Couple that with the fact that I won’t be visiting for Thanksgiving and you have one happy Mom. Normally I like to wait until the day I’m leaving to tell her about my vacation plans but I thought I should tell her in person so she could get all of her venting out of the way at one time. Okay, I’m sure I’ll hear more about as we get closer to departure but that’s to be expected.

Okay, and now on to the truly fun part of the weekend – the root vegetable part. I had quite a few root vegetables still awaiting usage from my last CSA delivery. This weekend I went to work on using them up. Friday night I made butternut squash enchiladas, Saturday morning I made carrot pancakes and Sunday night I made beet risotto. It’s hard for me to decide which of those delightful recipes to share with everyone since all of them were great. However, people ask for the carrot pancake recipe the most since it is somewhat carrot cake like (and carrot cake is sooo very delicious as well).



Carrot Cake Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash of ground cloves
Dash of ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk (or soymilk with 3/4 tablespoon lemon)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups finely grated carrots

Directions:
1. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through ginger). Combine separately brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs). Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in carrots.
2. Cook and enjoy.
3. Serve with maple syrup or with 3 tablespoons of butter mixed with 2 tablespoons of honey (the honey/butter mixture is quite delicious with these pancakes).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home