Monday, March 11, 2013

Birkie 2013

I know there is a reason I don’t take this blog down – Birkie Fever.  I like having a place to record my thoughts after the race so I can reflect back on all the good times, the suffering and the funny stuff. 

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  Oh wait, is that too cliche a start to this post???  I realize that some of you know that I said that I didn't have a great Birkie this year.  But what about those best of times????  Let's start with that.

The great part about the Birkie is all the stuff outside of the race really (well, except that 5am alarm on Sunday).  You are surrounded by a huge celebration of skiing and  with tons of other people many of whom are people you really like but maybe don’t get to see that often.  I know that a lot of people don’t like the Birkie because of all the people and hoopla and insanity.  However all those things also make it awesome and set it apart from all the other winter weekends.

Barnebirkie
For me I love to get there as early on Thursday as possible but with work commitments I often don’t get to see the Barnebirkie.  However, this year I was determined to be there as I wanted to cheer for the kids who would be doing the event in sit skis (which was a first).  Plus I can’t lie to you I love the Barnebirkie.  Who doesn’t love seeing all sorts of little kids out skiing?  It’s the one time of year I think it would be cool to have a kid so I could do the event with them. (Don't get the wrong idea about that comment as it is more like I'd like to borrow a kid than have my own).

Then on Thursday there is the Main Street Sprints which are also quite an enjoyable time.  Being on the CXC Master’s Team there is usually someone I know racing.  This year was especially fun because my favorite racer, Jennie Bender, won the women’s sprints.  Who doesn’t love watching their friends win?

After the Sprints it was off to the Expo and Bib Pick Up.  Bib Pick Up can be a very crazy undertaking depending on when you arrive.  Luckily Thursday afternoon wasn’t very busy yet so no long lines.  In the expo I saw one of the Smartwool reps that worked at the USGP and chatted with him about CX World’s (I like to talk biking at ski races and skiing at bike races).  I also bumped into quite a few people I hadn’t seen in a while including a few other CXC Master’s teammates and even a former WisDOT co-worker.  Then I got to hang out at the CXC booth and watch people try out their new poling machine which proved quite entertaining.

After the Expo it was off to Cable for dinner at one of my favorite places, River’s Eatery, for some pizza.  I had made plans to rendezvous there with Jennie Bender so we could catch up and we werealso  joined by some other CXC Master’s which provided a perfect group for hilarious conversation.  I’m just going to admit that there are few people who can make me laugh as much as Jennie so good times for sure.  Some might say too much fun but is that really possible??!!?? 

On Friday my only goal was to get out for a short ski since I hadn't skied in a couple of weeks.  On Friday I always have this overwhelming feeling that I've completely forgotten how to ski in any sort of reasonable manner.  This year was no different but being this is my 5th Birkie I've become used to that feeling.  Instead I just ignored my own problems and let myself enjoy all the people out trying out skis and waxes.  Lots of people out sweating which pair of skis to use. I already knew that I would ski my lucky skis which have seen me through all my classic races.  They are a little soft which is less than ideal under some conditions but fine for the type of snow we ended up having.  Besides even though they are a little soft they are lucky which makes them always the right choice. When in doubt go for the lucky skis!!

Friday also has the giant ski, the barkebirkie and the sit ski race.  Plus the obligatory stop at New Moon to look for things you don't need but might buy anyway in a fit of nervousness.  Dave and I even got interviewed on the radio while we were watching the sit ski race.  

Once you get into Friday night then it is time for dinner, selecting the clothes you are going to wear, stapling your energy gels and agreeing on what time we'd leave the cabin to get to the start.  Luckily this year the temps were in the mid-20s so deciding what to wear was easy.  I already had a sense of what Clif Shot flavors I wanted - chocolate for the beginning of the race, a citrus for the middle and chocolate cherry with extra caffeine for the end.  Not the combination for everyone but to each their own, right.

Now on to the racing . . . .  
The fact that I had a bad race is pretty shocking.  Oh wait . . . I didn’t do any mtn bike races, cyclocross races, ski camps, long rollerskis, ski intervals, strength nights, Elver races or other silly things like that.  I did sit on the couch quite a bit and occasionally worked up the motivation to jog 3 miles.  I did go on some nice weekend skis this winter but I certainly avoided mid week skis particularly those on man made snow.   What I’ve learned is that you don’t have to train too much to ski the Birkie but you might be happier if you did. 

So what happened out there?

Unlike last year I had my act together this year at the race start so I avoided any unnecessary drama or stress which is a really good thing as I didn’t need that on top of my lack of preparation.  Learning from last year’s experience I arrived with plenty of time to spare.  Unfortunately this means getting up way earlier than I prefer.  You see I’m the only Wave 3 skier in my cabin.  There were five Wave 1 Classic skiers, two Wave 5 Classic skiers and one Wave 5 Skate skier.  So I went with the Wave 1 Classic Skiers which meant leaving the cabin at 6am.  I suppose in reality you never actually sleep that well once the first people in the house gets up anyway so I might as well join them.

For those of you who haven’t skied the Birkie before it is a logistical nightmare.  There are 10,000 skiers all trying to get to one of the designated parking lots, get on a bus and get to Telemark Resort in time to walk down to where the start is located.  It can be a bit of a crush.  However, if you are going with Wave 1 Classic skiers it isn’t as bad because you are getting there pretty early.  We arrived at the start area by around 7am and it was pretty quiet still.  It’s always hard to believe because in even half an hour it is super crowded.

Me and Jennie Bender at the start
Me and Dave at the start
For the first time ever I tested my skis out on the little warm up loop.  I never do that.  I basically prefer to just have faith (or just have no time).  I did my warm up loop and then since everyone else seemed to be asking for one more layer of wax I did too.  Personally I had no idea if I wanted another layer or not because the warm up loop is basically flat so I couldn't really say if I had good kick or not.  However, everyone asking for another layer were better skiers than me so I felt like I should have one too.  (At this point I should confess that I am on the CXC Master’s Team so my skis are waxed by the team).

After ski testing I had tons of time to kill actually.  I had time to sit around, time for 2 port-a-potty visits, time to drop my bag off without rushing, time to cheer on the women’s elite skate wave, and even time to pose for photos with friends.  I arrived at the start of Wave 3 Classic in plenty of time and with no rushing around. It almost didn’t feel like I was at the Birkie. 

Start of the Women's Elite Skate Race
Now I will confess that in the back of my mind I had some concerns about this race but I had stomped those thoughts down.  I instead focused on reminding myself “that I’ve got this.”  What’s the big deal I’d done this event 4 times before including one year with 35k of leg cramps.  I’d skied for 3.5 hours with bad back pain at Mirror Lake only 2 weeks beforehand so I knew that I could make it.  (I fell on some ice a few weeks before the Birkie and my back was pretty bad but thanks to my massage therapist and acupuncturist I felt hopeful that I would be okay).

With all my doubts firmly pushed to the very dark recesses of my brain I set off on my 5th Birkie with all the optimism that a beautiful 20 degree day in a snow covered woods can bring.  Luckily for me my brain sort of fuzzes out much of the minute details of the event and leaves you with just a thrill of completion.  This means that you will not have to endure a kilometer by kilometer overview of my day (which would be unbearably boring as it really is just glide, pole, shuffle, breathing too hard, slow down, get passed, walk on skis, try to glide, get passed, shuffle . . . . ).

Of course I remember the congestion of the start.  It’s not as bad as the skate race but even the classic race takes a while to get sorted out.  I like to start slow so it doesn’t bother me and I’ve never been tempted to wait until everyone is gone to start (the race is chip timed so people do wait and go a little after their wave starts).  I feel like that congested start can give you a nice sense of camaraderie with the other people in your wave if you can avoid the occasional jerk in the crowd.  And even the jerks are probably nice people who are just too amped up on caffeine, gels and nerves.

I would say the start was pretty smooth except for one little incident at around 3k.  Luckily for me my skis were running pretty fast.  CXC had done a great job with the wax.  All in all this a good thing except during the most congested period of the race when you encounter people in front of you with slower skis.  I’m pretty conscientious of this fact but around 3k I was flying down a nice hill and was starting my glide up the next uphill.  All of a sudden this guy moves into my track and I glide right into the back of him and take us both down.  Now we’re both flailing around to try to get back up on a steep hill section which was not a pretty site.  Truthfully I was pissed with him for veering over into my path but since he seemed annoyed with me for taking him down I apologized while he grumbled. But really, is it really too much to ask for people to hold their line especially during the first 5k? 

At this point in the story I think it is important to mention that it snowed about 6-8 inches the day before the Birkie and didn’t get cold.  If you aren’t a skier you probably think that sounds great.  Skiers like snow and you probably remember how I complained about the abominably cold temperatures two years ago.  Well, sure but not exactly.  The fresh snow was not able to be compacted into a solid classic track (or skate deck really) which means that the skiing is slow and it doesn't take much to completely obliterate the tracks. 

One of the great things about the Birkie Classic trail is that the hills are not as steep so it is much easier to stride and you don’t need to herring bone as much.  Of course the tracks were soft so after probably the elite wave most of the hills no longer had tracks left as they were completely churned up.  This meant much, much more herring bone than normal and much more than I had prepared for during the skiing I did do.  This meant a very slow pace for me compared to normal.  This meant much more tired legs than I would prefer in the first half of the race.

Even in the first 9k of the race I could tell this race was coming off the rails.  I was passing hardly anyone, skiers from the wave behind me were passing me way too soon and my legs were already feeling heavy from the effort.  However, I did what anyone would do which was carry on in a slow and steady fashion and think positive thoughts. 

After the 9k point the Kortie skiers cut off and the trail is instantly less congested.  Of course, you are also in a pretty hilly part of the course and given the need to herring bone it did seem even more relentless than normal.  Plus at this point you see the mileage markers and it is always a bit overwhelming to realize that you've skied 20K but you still have 34k to go.  

I think I always get a little depressed at this point because the finish seems so far away but you feel like you've been skiing for quite awhile.  I actually really like this section of trail – well, when I’m just out for a fun ski at least – but it does have a couple of tricky downhills.  This year because of the loose snow they were like little luge runs.  The fresh snow had all been pushed off by the skiers into banked turns with scraped up hard pack that you had to negotiate around and down.  I was going down one of the trickier corners and was doing my best to carve my skis around the turn.  Part way down my left foot (which is doing the most carving) gets an arch cramp.  All I could think about was not crashing while my mind was screaming that I was doomed.  Somehow I made it around the corner but it was pretty touch and go.

Once you reach the Double OO food station you feel like you've reached a turning point in the race.  Shortly after that the classic and skate races come back together into one trails.  The bad part is that you now only have 2 classic tracks which given the soft snow are even more likely to be in bad shape as skaters ski over them.  I noticed this year that even with both the classic skiers and the skate skiers on the same trail that it was pretty quiet.  Not a ton of people talking.  Usually I like to make little quips or jokes or comment on the passing kilometer markings but I had no energy to spare for talking.  It seemed like I wasn't the only one suffering.

Around the half way point (27k to go) I realized how tight and sore my back was starting to get.  Since I knew this might happen I had some strategies.  Basically I would stretch my back on every downhill and try do deep breathing.  My massage therapist had recommended stretching with deep breathing if my back started to bother me.  I’m not sure if she meant I should stop and do that but there was no way I was going to stop.  I knew my best bet was to just keep going and to ignore the pain as much as possible.
Luckily it wasn't as bad as it might have been.  There were times when my back hurt too much to bend over on the downhills to stretch.  There were times when double poling was painful and times when striding were painful.  Luckily there were also times when I felt fine.  I just had to remember that if double poling hurt to try kick double poling or striding.  I felt bad about my very slow speed up the hills but at this point I just wanted to get to the finish.

In reflecting back on the race I find that the mind is an interesting thing.  You have a lot of time out on the trail and your mind has to have something to do.  Obviously keeping track of how many kilometers remain take up a great deal of the end of the race.  I’m always calculating things although each year when that starts is a little different.  I think this may be the first time that when I got to the 11k marker that my mind actually thought about how I was 20% done.  I know that when I get to 30k to go that I think of that as “just 3 10ks” and when I get to “2 10ks” I feel even better.

Of course you also look forward to the various places on the trail that have a lot of spectators.  Double OO obviously has a lot of people which is nice.  The 11k to go group has music and when you get there you know you are almost to the infamous Bitch Hill.  Bitch Hill has a faux preacher to absolve you of your sins.  Swearing being probably one of the biggest sins of the moment.  Then there are always some costumed people at the top of the hill encouraging you.  Bitch Hill isn't really that bad of a hill in the scheme of things but at that point your legs are tired and the short steep pitch does make your legs scream.

After a very long ski I finally reached the start of Lake Hayward where I could finally get my long anticipated Jaeger shot.  Most years I just take the Jaeger shot because it makes the people at the table happy but I don't care one way or the other about it.  This year though I really wanted that Jaeger shot. Truthfully I’m not a huge Jaegermeister fan but I needed some sort of distraction this year.  And it worked.  For the next .5 k or so I felt better.  I didn't ski better but I felt more optimistic about making it across that stupid never ending lake.

Of course I continued my trend of getting passed and several more classic skiers passed me on the lake but I didn't even care.  I just wanted to get done.  As always you eventually make it across the lake to the sugary snow of Main Street.  It seemed like the downtown was packed when I arrived and I got cheered on by quite a few people I knew who were still hanging out watching finishers.

At the finish line both of the First Aid guys were grilling me about if I was okay or needed anything.  All I could think was that all I needed was to finish so I could stop skiing and I accomplished that so what else was there.  After my mumbling, noncommittal "I'm fine" they finally asked if I'd like them to take my skis off.  That was much more what I needed than any first aid as I feared if I bent over I would never get back up.

After that I wandered around in a serious haze attempting to find my drop bag.  Not as easy as it sounds since the 1st-3rd wave bags are not in the same place as the later wave bags so I went to the wrong place.  Some nice volunteer took charge of me though and commandeered my bag.  Dave was waiting near my bag so located me so he could steer me along to the changing tent and then produced some food for me.  He was my savior for sure!!!

After that there was nothing left but the beer drinking, story telling, food eating and assorted other good times that are Saturday night after the Birkie.

So basically thanks to all my friends as without you I probably wouldn't be thinking that this particular Birkie weekend was awesome.  Luckily all my friends ensured I had a great time and so obviously I'll be signing up for Birkie number 6.  I think I'll prepare a little bit better this time . . . . 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home