Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cam-Rock 2

Some days you have and some days you don't.  Sometimes you don't have it for very long.  That would be Cam-Rock.  I have to say that my head wasn't really in race mode as I was already thinking ahead to my vacation - my ski vacation.  Skis to wax, cold weather gear to dig out, etc, ect.

Still it's cyclocross and the race is close by so of course I'm going to be there.  I have to admit that I didn't do much of a warm up which is a bad habit that I've always had (even when I took things much more seriously).  That is never a really good idea with cross.

On the plus side of this race I once again got a good start.  Fast starts were my one claim to fame when I was a Cat 2 but it seems that ever since I've become a Cat 3 slow, slow starts are the norm.  For the 2nd race in a row I was not the last person off the line.

I'm not going to go into another drawn out discussion of every twist, turn and maneuver of the race.  Instead I will say that I had one good lap in which I was in front of my teammate, Michele.  It felt like old times with me going out fast and Michele passing me later in the race.  I will also say that I didn't ride the log even though I should have but my mind was saying "play it safe, you're about to leave on vacation."  That was lame.  To make up for being lame I remounted part way up the hill which is something I NEVER do.  I always think I won't make it as I'm not someone who ever put out the big watts.  It was fun though.

Of course no post about Cam-Rock2 would be complete without mentioning the muddy spiral.  Watching the morning races I wondered if riding it would be the best move but I wasn't motivated to get off and run it.  Luckily riding it wasn't a big deal but it was some of the slowest racing ever.  Tight spiral+greasy mud does not = fast.

For the conclusion - the race ended with Michele pulling away from me, me slowly falling back and then a very unglorious finish.  Still it was fun to be out racing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home