Wednesday, November 05, 2014

On racing cyclocross again

If like me you started racing in 1990 it would seem that it would be pretty easy to return to racing after only a couple year hiatus. It would seem that way but it isn't entirely true. It may have been injuries that brought about my hiatus – first a fractured tailbone in 2012 and then SI joint issues in 2013 that continue to flare up even now - but it was a love of the free time that not racing gives you that was truly seductive.  It can be alluring to go out for a ride, a run or a rollerski at any time and any level of effort that I wanted. No showing up at the race location with time to register, warm up, pin on the number, race hard, cool down. Even a short event like cross can eat up your weekend.  Having time to go to brunch, get a few errands done and still exercise is rather relaxing. 

Yet it has seemed strange to put on a big UCI cyclocross race and then not be a part of the scene after it was over. Yes, I feel pretty burnt out on cross by the time the race is over as I've already spent a couple of months totally focused on cross. But only putting on the race makes it hard to remember all the fun I had racing over the years and makes one question why you should keep promoting such a time consuming event.

This year I decided to start getting involved more with cross again so I kicked that off by organizing a weekly women's cyclocross practice. There is actually nothing like a group of women showing up some of whom had never even see a cyclocross race and putting their faith in me to show them the ropes. Honestly it was the most motivating thing I could have done - better than training and actually being fast. It reminded me that what I like about cyclocross and racing (be it bikes or skis) is the camaraderie and social aspect.  For the whole month of October a whole host of women showed up to practice skills and talk about all the various aspects of racing - from heckling to licenses to starts to being okay with getting off and running sections.

And that is truthfully why I started racing again – for the fun people.  Sure it feels somewhat rewarding to have raced hard and pushed myself but after 20+ years I think I know what I can and cannot accomplish athletically. Sure I’ve had some successes – some wins, one state championship, a few meager UCI cyclocross points – and also an overwhelming number of DFLs, a broken finger, a torn ACL, plenty of bumps and bruises.  However, what I really have is lots of friends and acquaintances that are super fun and truthfully I'm hard pressed to think of very many friends that I haven't met either through cycling or skiing.

For all my friends who aren't racing anymore come back and hang out with me! My race season hasn't been that impressive and is highlighted by numbers pinned upside down, poorly executed beer hand ups, almost missing the start, and feeble lungs and legs. However, I have reconnected with some pretty awesome people and met some great new people. I've been heckled and cheered and had a great time recalling that cyclocross is the most fun you can have while suffering intensely! And for all of you doing the heckling and cheering - thanks for making it fun!

Here's some proof that I really have raced!

Sun Prairie Cup

Badger Prairie Start (I'm the one with the slowest start)

Celtic Cross in Fitchburg (I'm the one in green on the left)


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home